Running lighttpd as different user: /run/lighttpd still gets created with www-data user and group

Hello all,

I'm running an minbase installation of Debian Stretch and have configured lighttpd to run as a different, non-www-data user. However, when booting, lighttpd does not start successfully, as /run/lighttpd is still owned by www-data. Only when I'm chowning it to the different user, lighttpd can be started successfully.

The system is booting from a readonly image. /run does exist there, but it not populated with a lighttpd directory.
The readonly image gets created using debootstrap. After debootstrapping, a few shell scripts run which change lighttpd to run as a different user.

In detail, the shell scripts are
* replacing occurences of www-data by the new username in /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf and /etc/init.d/lighttpd, and
* chownign the webroot, /var/log/lighttpd, /var/cache/lighttpd/compress, /var/cache/lighttpd/uploads

At which point does /run/lighttpd get created, and how can I control the owning user and group of this directory?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Manuel Wagesreither