Re: installing at needs 19 other packages

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 11:38:39AM +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My upgraded Jessie machines still have the at command installed by default, my new Stretch machines do not have it.
> I just wanted to install at and noticed it has A LOT of required parts that I do not understand. Why does it want to install 19 packages like exim4-base and mysql-common?
> Is all of that really necessary to get the at command up and running? Should some of them maybe get moved over to "Suggested packages"?

The reason for that is is 'at' wants to be able to mail you command
output, so it includes this:

Recommends: default-mta | mail-transport-agent

The larger than expected list of packages is, I suspect, a result of you
not having an MTA installed your system.

You can do 'apt-get install --no-install-recommends at' to avoid the
extra package, bus if you do not have working local mail delivery or an
MTA with a smarthost configured, then you may not get messaged with the
output of the jobs you run.

Regards,

-Roberto

--