Re: dd: error reading '/dev/sr0': Input/output error

Using an old PATA-to-USB cable, I attached a 15 year old PATA DVD Drive to the SATA based computer I've been using.  With this drive (/dev/sr1), dd seems to working fine without having to precede it with dvdbackup -M.

In the dvdread README on github, I found this: '..... If you attempt to read scrambled DVD directly with cp/dd/readom, you'll get I/O error (Read of scrambled sector without authentication) on all scrambled sectors ....  dvdread uses libdvdcss to authenticate itself to DVD drive using special IOCTLs, and this eliminates "Read of scrambled sector without authentication" errors'

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> I guess that dvdbackup is aware how to talk the drive into
> descrambling. Some traces in the web point to libdvdcss
> as helper.
> Best looking, content-wise is:
> https://cromwell-intl.com/technical/how-to-copy-dvds.html

That is well done.