Fwd: Recommendation for Virtual Machine and Instructions to set it up?

Darn it, forgot to monkey with the headers when replying from gmail... please see intended list reply below.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:19
Subject: Re: Recommendation for Virtual Machine and Instructions to set it up?
To: <deloptes@gmail.com>

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:03 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> What would you recommend for the software to run a VM under Jessie (that
> would probably run Ubuntu), and can you recommend a fairly simple set of
> instructions to first set up the VM, and then at least begin the install
> process to that VM.

Recently I am using headless or sometimes visual virtualbox. If you want it
headless virtualbox is better. There are packages to download. I don't know
if and which work on jessie.
I do not think you need a backup if you install the packages.

I second this. I’ve been using virtualbox since around etch or so I think — anyway a while. Since you’re on Jessie it should be in the repos. From stretch on you need to add a repo to get it as it fell out if the Debian repo. But it is still in Jessie — at least it was when Jessie was stable.

I have always found virtualbox surprisingly easy to set up and use — a lot of things that as a noob I expected to be hard just weren’t. There’s a good visual setup screen for creating new VMs and the documentation is quite good as I recall.

The only thing I’ve never got working properly is 3D acceleration.

HTH

Mark