Re: [OT?] home partition vs. home directory

On 1/12/18 6:23 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:14:40PM -0500, Default User wrote:
>>    I often see people recommend a separate home partition.
>>    But why would (or not) that be better than just a home directory within
>>    the root directory?
>>    Wouldn't one less partition be simpler, and therefore (all other things
>>    being equal) better?
>>    Opinions, please.
>
> The main reasons for a separate home partition are to share it between
> multiple installations in a multi-boot scenario and/or to allow for easy
> re-installation of the OS while preserving everything under /home.
>
> If neither of those apply, then a separate home partition is not
> especially beneficial.

Two others for me:

1. some dodgy software writing in my home directory can't fill up the
root filesystem (also, probably moreso, applies to /var(/log))

2. backup utilities can usually be told to stop at filesystem
boundaries, which can be simpler than writing explicit exclude lists etc.

Richard