Re: [OT?] home partition vs. home directory

On Friday, November 30, 2018 07:26:33 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2018 13:58:52 Michael Stone wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 05:23:09PM +0000, Michael Thompson wrote:
> > >Because if your root partition fails, you can reinstall and all your
> > >
> > > files are safe on their own partition...
> >
> > ...leaving open the question of how likely that scenario is.
>
> Not bloody likely Michael, if the disk is toast, so are all its
> partitions as a general rule. If you are going to put you /home on a
> separate partition, put it on a different disk.
>
> Unfortunately that has NOT been acceptable to the installer for most of a
> decade now.

Hmm, it hasn't been 10 years since I installed Jessie, yet I have my top level
directories (e.g., /abc, which hold my data directories (e.g.,
/abc/Documents)) on a separate disk, and I'm rather certain I did that with
the installer -- maybe I used a different version of the installer (or maybe
I'm mis-remembering -- maybe I created those partitions (on a separate disk)
after the installation.

But, I've thought about it for a few moments, and I'm more certain I did that
with the installer...