Re: issues with stretch, issue 2 from many

On Fri 30 Nov 2018 at 16:20:15 +0100, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:

> On 27-11-2018, at 13h 52'25", Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote about "issues with stretch, issue 2 from many"
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have issues with stretch, to many to count...
> > This one will focus on the window manager startup.
> > [...]
> > Question 2.1: Why .xsession is not read and .xsessionrc is read?
> > Question 2.2: Who starts the second call of fvwm? If I comment out the
> > fvwm call in .xsession(rc) then the fvwm doesn't use the ssh-agent
> > (for example). At the moment I simply deleted x-window-manager, so
> > when I logout from fvwm I get a error/warning instead of a new fvwm
> > session.
> >

> @ Brian, here is my formal .xsession (currently .xsessionrc) file:
>
> ==========================cut here========================
> #!/bin/bash
> xsetbg background1.png
> rclock -fg white -bg black -fn
> "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-16" -geometry
> 98x95+1817+23 &
> eval `ssh-agent -s`
> xrdb -m .Xresources
> xrdb -m .Xdefaults
> xmodmap .xmodmap
> ssh-add -c
> setroot -solid steelblue1
> xsetbg background2.png
> ( sleep 2 ; /home/mugurel/bin/*ncepe ) &
> fvwm2
> ==========================cut here========================

My .xsession has "exec fvwm" as the last line but I do not think that
makes your choice incorrect. Also, your other lines look reasonable but
I've not had any experience with using such a varied assortment of
commands.

What I would do is start with "fvwm" as the only line and test with
startx. Then build up the file line by line, testing at each stage.

> startx would have been bringing up whatever x-window-manager was
> pointing at, which was kde.
>
> xsession was not read because I did not get the clock, I was not asked
> for the passphrase, I did not get the background, etc.
>
> I am not abusing anything. .xsession was working before stretch and it
> is not working with stretch. Reading some manuals I found out about
> .xsessionrc, so I renamed .xsession into .xsessionrc.
>
> I am not fun of startx, it will read my .xsession?

Definitely. And - if works with startx, it should work with xdm.

--
Brian.