Re: issues with stretch, issue 2 from many

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 04:43:04PM +0100, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> Greg, I care less about what should and what should not. .xsession is
> ignored in stretch (but not before),

Not if you type startx.  I login on the Linux text console in stretch,
and type startx, and my .xsession is used.  Just like it always has been.
Just like it is for everyone else who uses startx.

> so I found out that .xsessionrc
> is not, so I renamed.

You must comment out the explicit "fvwm2" at the end of the file after
you do that.  Otherwise, you will try to run a window manager TWICE.
Once in .xsessionrc and then once in the Debian X session, or the GNOME
session, or whatever it is that you are using.

> Regardless of my .xsession/.xsessionrc file
> something is calling for a x-window-session without the
> personalisation that I want.

Yes.  As I have REPEATEDLY told you.  As it says in the documentation,
and on the wiki page, and everywhere.

Debian will try to run a session manager or a window manager AFTER it
finishes reading your .xsessionrc file.

Now, please answer the following questions:

1) What version of Debian are you running?

2) How do you log in to your computer?  If it's by a display manager
   (graphical login), which one is it?

3) How do you start the X window system?

4) How have you configured whichever dot files are relevant to #2 and #3?

5) What is the actual problem you are having?

#2 IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT and I have never yet seen you answer it.
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this incredibly drawn-out and unfocused
thread, but I don't think so.