Accessing SSH server over VPN

I have hardware router which allows to configure VPN. I managed to set
it up on my laptop (debian Stretch) in the NetworkManager applet. So
now I can connect from office to outside word using my home router as
a proxy (when I check my IP it shows the IP of my router).

I can also connect to one linux desktop machine (debian Jessie),
however not by VPN, but this is not an issue.

The issue is that when I connect to my desktop I would like to ssh
back to my laptop using VPN channel, so I could open the result in the
local X server. The problem is that I cannot even ssh to my laptop
when I try to use laptop VPN IP.

What would I have to check/try in order to resolve the issue?

Kind regards,
Piotr