Re: stretch update overwrites nano file

On Tue 27 Nov 2018 at 11:07:33 +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

[Snip]

> >   During startup, nano will first read the system-wide settings, from
> >  /etc/nanorc (the exact path might be different), and then the user-
> >  specific settings, from ~/.nanorc.
> > So, the correct file to customise nano settings is either of those two files.
>
> Yup, I simply put my default.nanorc file back into the /usr/share/nano
> dir. I want it to be a system wide default as the current default is
> "a bit sparse" ;-)

Then you used dpkg-divert to be able to sleep better at nights and not
have to worry about it being overwritten?

> I now better understand the logic why my default file got replaced.
> Still it would have been better if there was some kind of warning but
> I understand the logic and I can live with it. :-)

It would not have been better to have been given a warning. Any admin
who alters a system file should know what he is doing and be able to
deal with it. Think of a hundred altered files and a hundred warnings
during an upgrade.

Another point is that /usr/local is the place for non-package files.

--
Brian.