Re: VMPK

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 12:56:38PM +0100, Magnus Johansson wrote:
> Hello! When will VMPK 0.7.0 become available in the Debian software
> repository?

There's an outstanding bug to switch to version 0.6.2 [1]. Perhaps
you can contribute to this (or file a new bug, dunno, but referring
to this one makes sense, I guess).

The Fishing Rod, or how I found out:

I've no idea about VMPK. But I went to packages.debian.org [3] and
searched for "VMPK" (important is to choose "all sections" and "all
suites"). Cook kids put the search terms directly into the URL (the
page teaches you, by example, how to do that).

Then I saw [4] that all suites were "on" VMPK 0.4.0. Then I clicked
on the "unstable" version [5] and there on "bug reports" [6]. Voilà.

Why unstable? It is very important here to understand how new
versions enter Debian. They first enter "unstable". Afer some time,
while dust settles, they move to "testing". They stay there until
they are superseded by a new version coming from unstable or until
testing becomes, after a freeze period "the new stable".

This means: a package version never changes in stable (yes, I crossed
my fingers behind my back: "almost never", or something). This is
a promise stable makes to you.

Then there are backports and things.

Cheers

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=870355