Re: fetchmail

nmail is another alternative and it stores individual messages in
individual files in a user's home directory.  Very helpful when malware
strikes since if e-mail was the vector or was later contaminated only
the messages with the malware in them get quarrantined.  With mbox, your
entire mail spool could be quarrantined and if you haven't read most of
that mail you could end up loosing all of it.