Re: discover and install specific package version

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 02:35:57AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Reco composed on 2018-11-17 09:53 (UTC+0300):
>
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:52:14AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> Web searches have not been helpful for these:
>
> >> 1-Which of apt* returns version numbers along with package names, one line per result, when
> >> searching? (in openSUSE, versions are returned by zypper search via the -s switch (one line per
> >> package))
>
> > aptitude search -F '%p %V' --disable-columns <pkg_here>
>
> Surely there must be something simpler to be able to remember and type. :-p

You requested a greppable output. That's how they do things here ☺

> aptitude search -F '%p %V' --disable-columns firefox-esr | grep 52. returns only one item:
> 	firefox-esr-dev 52.9.0esr-1~deb9u1
> ???

As I wrote earlier, "the appropriate version of firefox-esr must be
found in some repository that's listed in /etc/apt/sources.list". It's
the same for me.

> >> 2-http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/firefox-esr/ apparently has what I want for Stretch,
> >> esr52.9 by whatever name (Firefox-ESR or IceWeasel). How can I get the cmdline package management
> >> system (apt-???) to tell me which I can choose from other than installed and latest? Searches tried
> >> (e.g. apt-show-versions; apt list -a; apt-cache madison) only show 45.x (installed) and 60.3
> >> (available).
>
> > apt install firefox-esr=52.9.0esr-1~deb9u1
>
> > But, if you want this to work, the appropriate version of firefox-esr
> > must be found in some repository that's listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.
> > And it seems that they deleted that particular version from everywhere
> > including [1].
>
> > [1] https://snapshot.debian.org
>
> https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180630T203831Z/pool/main/f/firefox-esr/firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1_amd64.deb
> exists
>
> No errors produced by apt update with the following in sources.list:
> deb https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180630T203831Z/ stretch main

That snapshot of a main archive has firefox-esr version 52.6.0esr-1~deb9u1.
Have you tried another date?

Reco