Re: that other OS

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 04:32:55PM +0000, mick crane wrote:

> I use windows I'm not ashamed to say that.
> I noticed tho that there is a new message
> "Windows is a service..."
> This is that thing where they want people to pay a monthly fee to use the
> OS, like adobe apparently did with their photo suite.
> Just saying, prepare for stampede of ex windows users.

This prediction has been made each time a major change is made in
Windows.  For example, when they started requiring activation, there
were supposed to be legions of users totally dumping Microsoft in favor
of alternatives.

However, there are two reasons why all such predictions have been
inaccurate.  For one, the vast majority of Microsoft users exhibit
signs of co-dependency (i.e., they think that no matter how "bad" things
are with Microsoft, they would be "worse" without Microsoft).  The other
reason is that Microsoft has managed to implement these changes mostly
incrementally such that the user does not realize what is really
happening, much like the boiling frog [0].

I think it would be great if more people ditched Microsoft on the
desktop and went to alternatives, as it would force more software
vendors, service providers, etc., to at least acknowledge (if not fully
support) Linux, &co.

However, I am not going to hold my breath.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

--
Roberto C. Sánchez