Re: Dell Trackpad - No Primary Button

Kent West wrote:
> I have a brand new Dell Latitude 5590 laptop on which I've installed Debian
> 9.6.
>
> An external mouse works fine, but the finger-stick pointer doesn't work
> (which I don't really care about), and the trackpad doesn't work right
> (which hampers me).
>
> The trackpad moves the mouse-pointer fine, but the top two buttons do
> nothing (don't really care), and the bottom left is a secondary click and
> the bottom right is a middle click (as reported by the "Test Your Settings"
> area of the "Mouse & Touchpad" utility), and the"tap on the pad" function
> does nothing.
>
> I found the "Synaptics Touchpad" article on the Debian WIKI, which says
> that "egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps|elan' /proc/bus/input/devices" will tell me
> the type of touchpad I have, but that returns nothing, as does a simpler
> "ls -lah /proc/bus/input/devices".
>
> This document also suggested installing xserver-xorg-input-libinput (was
> already installed), xserver-xorg-input-evdev (I've since installed and
> rebooted), and xserver-xorg-input-mouse (I've since installed and
> rebooted), and to not have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
>
> Interestingly, during the original install, the trackpad did not work. I
> didn't worry about plugging in an external at that time, nor worry about it
> at that time, figuring it'd be an easy fix post-install (but it's not been).
>
> Googling has pointed at a lot of old material, and suggested the synaptics
> driver (which the WIKI above suggests against), etc, so I'm not sure what
> the canonical way is to go about fixing this. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Google tells me you have a
IEI Integration Corp DELL0817:00 044E:121F Touchpad

and that this is a HID over I2C device, which requires the
following kernel modules:

intel-lpss-pci
i2c-hid
hid-multitouch

and then it will work.

My Stretch system has all three of those (4.9.0-8-amd64),
so try modprobing them all and see what results you get.

-dsr-