Re: Paypal and Linux in a low graphics environment.

On Wednesday 14 November 2018 07:57:50 Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > "escalate" the call.  Paypal I think, runs on linux.
>
> You mean Android/Linux or GNU/Linux?
>
> In any case, this is like saying that Toyota uses diesel-powered
> vehicules to ship its cars (and parts), so of course its vehicules
> will also accept diesel.
>

>         Stefan
Chuckle. But now here's practicality, and offtopic:

In 1978 I was the CE at a tv station Now long gone because the market
wasn't big enough. But since I started out in broadcast engineering at
KOTA, I worked for and with the engineer at TEPCO, who made the
microwave gear that intercepted 1/4 of a watt from the cross-country
network backbone at a site called waterdog someplace north of the
Umcompaugraphy(sp?) plateau in CO, and sent it on south thru two more
hops to get to KIVA-tv just south of Farmington NM.  Needing to go fix
something, I took the station owners '77 Bronco to our gas tradeout and
filled the empty front tank up from the regular pump. Unknown to the
station at the time, the tank truck driver had just filled the regular
tank with super-diesel. I made it to about the corner west of town and
had just turned north when I found the 303 was pinging like crazy on
anything that resembled an upgrade, so I switched tanks, curing the ping
in about a quarter mile. My trip was important, so I continued switching
tanks, but stopped in Cortez and filled that tank up from the ethyl
pump. After 30 more miles I was able to use a bit more throttle on the
hills before switching tanks. I got to our site on North Mountain and
found it dead, so had to go on north to the our first site, where I had
to replace the transmitter klystron. By then I was looking at the gas
gauge but took a chance and backed south, stopping at the Phillips Store
at the bottom of north mountain where I again filled that tank with
ethyl, and the other with regular, and I was able to use from the bigger
tank all the way up north mountain with only an occasional ping.  The
rest of that trip was uneventful, but it proved that within reason, a
year old ford bronco could be run on super-diesel. Back to regular it
ran like a scalded cat because all the carbon deposits had been blasted
away, leaving its innards quite clean till it got carboned up again.

Now back to the regularly scheduled the argument about passwds, with some
of the arguments for short ones blowing my mind, probably posted by
windows users at home who have not yet been hacked. Your time is coming.

My only encounter with paypal on the phone was rather nicely handled by
the support person answering the phone. Several years ago now.

Historically, I've had more problems with ebay when I'm playing visiting
fireman 2k miles from my home machine and trying to buy a card for a
$12,000 commercial player whose scsi card had died. Took 3 days of
yelling at them before they would give me the sellers address to
complete the sale, their software was not able to authenticate/pass me
as the buyer because at that site, I was forced to use an xp machine
locked down by a firewall they need in Northern CA right now.

They weren't able to handle a familiar buyer useing a differrent machine
2000 miles away from his home machine.

That call wound up being escalated 4 times before I got to someone who
understood the problem, and gave me the sellers ebay address.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)