Re: heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

Eric S Fraga:

> I recently did an 'apt update; apt upgrade' on my desktop which is
> running testing (aka buster).  Doing so led to my losing sound through
> any application that relies on pulseaudio, e.g. firefox.  I could still
> use console based tools (e.g. mocp) to listen to music but pulseaudio
> could not find my default built-in sound card, only the nvidia card
> which provides sound through HDMI.

I had a similar issue, but in my case it was just the order of the audio
devices that was shuffled around:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xe0630000 irq 48
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xe0634000 irq 46

I can only assume that previously the PCH device was 0 and the HDMI
device was 1. In any case, alsamixer did not show any volume controls
anymore and applications like mplayer, which produce sensible error
output, reported that they failed to find a proper audio device.

The solution was simple:

$ grep snd_ /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_hda_codec_hdmi index=1

That and a reboot fixed it.

J.
--
I eat meat and am concerned about bugs which are resistant to
antibiotics.