Re: Recommendation on partition sizes

On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 03:20:11AM +0000, D&P Dimov wrote:
Considering that I will be installing Debian 9.5 Stable on a new Dell laptop
with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM, and intend to also run Windows 10 as a virtual
machine from the /home partition (so it doesn't get affected during kernel
updates and upgrades),

does this seem like an adequate space allocation:

1MB free space (as per a recent post on this forum)
boot partition, not encrypted, 1.5 GB
/ root, encrypted, 40 GB
/swap, encrypted, 16GB (same as RAM)
/home, encrypted, contains the virtual Windows 10 and documents, the remaining
approximately 454 GB

On desktop machines these days I tend to just make a big root partition. Swap can be a swapfile on the root partition or you can make it a separate partition if you want. If you're booting via UEFI you need a separate partition for that, and you can split out boot if you want an encrypted root.