Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On 2018-10-30 19:03, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 30 October 2018 13:31:05 Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 01:27:19PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> Probably better:
>
> http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/getmail
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getmail
> http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why

Interesting.  I haven't used fetchmail in a *long* time (think
dial-up), so I wasn't aware of the issues in that FAQ.

As a long term, probably 15+ years user of fetchmail, I've never found it hard to configure, and the only incoming I didn't get was what procmail,
as the mda agent didn't like from clamav, even spam comes on in and
kmail sorts it to a spam directory. That which is virii, procmail puts
in /var/spool/virii instead of delivering it to me.

As a long term, 20 years or so, use of an isp who used qmail, by djb, I
was rather put off by its instant acceptance of what was patently spam,
and finally switching because the place was sold and I lost that account
since I'd been retired 13 years already, I switched to my isp's dovecot
server, and 99% of the spam disappeared. Their install of dovecot
includes its also being a pop3 server, but because 99% of Shentels users
are rigged for imap, fetchmails ability to delete a successfully
transferred email has been defaulted to off. But I can and do log in
about daily and clean it out with FF.

If I was to switch to getmail, would getmail then be able to delete a
fetched email from this dovecot server which I am currently accessing as
a pop3 client.

Found the docs, s/b well explained there. But the initial setup would be
a bunch easier if it was all printed out so I had the step by step in
hand. Can FF do a decent job of the html versions?  Or do I need to
extract the .gz's and load them into geany for conversion to paper
copies?

Many Thanks to anyone familiar with this.

I'm using getmail with dovecot deliver since fetchmail stopped working with gmail changing the ssl certificate ( server ) all the bloody time. getmail doesn't have this problem for me although there is still a problem with gmail insisting on keeping deleted mail ( gone from IMAP inbox) in "all mail". Other people seem to manage from the getmail mailing list so I probably haven't got the syntax quite right in getmairc.
dunno about pop.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31