Re: versioning file system

On 10/28/18 11:35 AM, David Christensen wrote:
Moving bike shed discussion off-list...

On 10/28/18 7:42 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 02:46:16PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
I would postulate that most of us use what is provided OOTB --
e.g. by the Debian installer (d-i) -- and what is fully
integrated/ supported into the distribution -- e.g. Apt, systemd,
userspace, whatever.

Perhaps when I said "we'd already be using them" I shouldn't have bracketed such a broad group as "us". Let me be clearer: in my 10
years as a Debian developer, 20 as a user, 10 as a professional
sysadmin and 5 as a professional software engineer, I have never
met anyone who uses something like this regularly.

It sounds like you never used VAX/VMS.

I wrestled with ZFS on Debian a few years back (on Wheezy?).
Then and now, Apt offered the zfs-fuse package.  zfs-fuse was
slow and had a dated feature set, but it worked and was
reasonably well integrated into Debian.  ZFS on Linux (ZOL) was
available as a download.  I built and installed it.  ZOL was
performant and up-to-date, but integrating ZOL into Debian was my
responsibility.  So, I wrote some scripts and hacked them into
the init and shutdown systems.  ZFS rocked, but my amateur
integration was brittle.  And, I soon realized that ZFS is
unsupported by the d-i rescue shell.  Now I use btrfs.

I haven't extracted the relevance of this passage to the topic we
are discussing,

It is a demonstration of my postulate, above.

but I do hope you have a backup system.

Of course.  I also have archive and imaging systems.