Re: i386 version for chrome

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 09:59, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2018 18:49:13 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2018 18:20:16 David wrote:
> > >
> > > There seems to be an ongoing theme here with lines that look like
> > >   *search hosts dns
> > > popping up in other places in Gene's system.
> > >
> > > See:
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/10/msg00857.html
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/10/msg00859.html
> > >
> > > Gene, the line

> > > that you show above does not match anything documented by
> > > the manpages on wheezy. I checked
> > >   interfaces(5)
> > >   resolv.conf(5)
> > >   resolvconf(8)
> > >   nsswitch.conf(5)
>
> And I just noticed you were checking wheezy, but the problem is in a
> stretch install, wheezy works fine using 5 yo man pages.  Stretch does
> not, using year old man pages that are installed with stretch.

I checked wheezy only because I thought that's what you use, I didn't
read carefully enough, sorry. Regardless, it makes no difference, the
man pages say that lines
  search hosts dns
or
  dns-search hosts dns
do NOT work the way you seem to think, regardless of which file
they're in. The dns-search version that goes in /etc/network/interfaces
is documented in resolvconf(8). It does NOT accept arguments like
"hosts" or "dns", according to the man pages. I have not read the
source though.