Re: versioning file system

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 at 08:23, David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

Hi, I've noticed that you give a lot of good advice on this list. Now, I hope
to return the favour :) ...

> When I'm working on a file, I can do ten edit/ saves, or more.  With a
> versioning file system, the original file plus all the saves would be on
> disk.  This makes it easy to pick through them using standard tools.

git is a "standard tool" these days.

> But if the original file and all but the last save are in a version
> control system (VCS), I would need tools that can reach inside the VCS.
> Searching the manual pages of cat(1), grep(1), diff(1), and make(1) for

git-cat-file(1)
git-grep(1)
git-diff(1)

> 'CVS' just now, I found zero hits.  This means I'd need to check them

CVS WTF? :)

> out.  Now I'm back to what a versioning file system gives me automatically.
>

> Furthermore, auto-commit on every save would put a lot of cruft into the
> VCS, to be stored, backed up, and archived repeatedly and indefinitely.
> If I try to remove the VCS auto-commits by hand, eventually I will
> damage or destroy the VCS repository (e.g. Murphy's Law).  Removing VCS
> auto-commits mechanically would require developing and validating a
> suitable work flow and tools, adding cost and limiting flexibility.

git-rebase(1)

Seriously, learn git. git's own documentation does not make that easy, but
if you search more widely for information and persist, it will be extremely
rewarding in the long run.