Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 01:51:32 PM Andrew Wood wrote:

> Ok this is not Linux its Haiku based but I wrote an open source mailing

> list system called MailMistress which is on Github for situations where

> you need to run a list on a machine without a public IP or where you

> want to interface the database of subscribers to an existing system. In

> our case we have a MySQL database of society members and MailMistress

> connects to that - you just write a connector script/program.

> If its of interest I can provide further details.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, it is of some interest, if only for my own edification / education.

I tried looking up Haiku, and I got a little mixed up -- Wikipedia says Haiku is an OS:

<quote>

Haiku is a free and open-source operating system compatible with the now discontinued BeOS. Its development began in 2001, and the operating system became self-hosting in 2008. The first alpha release was made in September 2009, and the most recent was November 2012; development is ongoing as of 2018 with nightly releases.More at Wikipedia

</quote>

but then I downloaded the first .pdf / page of something named "Learning to Program with Haiku", Lessons by DarkWyrm, and that (very elementary) page seems to discuss programming in C -- I thought from the title Haiku might be a programming language.

Anyway, I'm a little reluctant to put you to much trouble if I don't think I can either learn from it or use it.

Do you have any idea how hard it might be to convert to use on Linux? Is the program written in C? Was it, by any chance, compiled with GCC?

Any idea how hard it would be to convert to, for example, use just an ASCII text file as the list of subscribers?

And, I guess it talks to an ISP -- POP3 in and SMTP out?