Re: An appropriate directory search tool?

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 09:48:28 AM David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Oct 2018 at 05:25:05 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I wish a list of files with a specific extension in a directory which
> > contain keywordA but not keywordB. Recursing down the directory tree
> > was the primary objection to the MATE search tool.
>
> At last, a direct question!
>
> $ grep -L keywordB $(grep -l keywordA a-directory/*extension)

I am not the OP, and I haven't tried this out, but, reading the grep man page
for the -L (and the -l) option, I'm a little concerned by the sentence that
says ~"Scanning will stop on the first match" -- does that mean it will stop
scanning the particular file being scanned, or does that mean it will stop
scanning in the directory (or list of files) being scanned?

I guess I should assume you know what you're doing, but I am uncertain what
the man page is telling me.