Re: Won't boot if /, home, swap are encrypted

Definitely, I did not encrypt the /boot. Only the swap, home and root are encrypted.

I should have mentioned also that I have an EFI System Partition instead of /boot, as it makes me create it. If I have /boot instead, it doesn't let me go on and makes me create a EFI. But it boots fine, as long as the home, root, and swap are not encrypted.

Thanks!

 Subject: Re: Won't boot if /, home, swap are encrypted
 To: "D&P Dimov" <lddimov@yahoo.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Sunday, October 21, 2018, 1:34 PM

 On 10/21/18 6:25 AM, D&P
 Dimov wrote:
 > I did a new install of latest Debian 9.5
 stable on a new Dell laptop. Debian is the only OS there
 now. If I encrypt /, home, and swap, it won't boot after
 install. If I leave them unencrypted, it boots fine. What am
 I missing?
 > Thanks!

 Did you
 remember to make an unencrypted /boot partition? The
 Debian
 installer does not support encrypted
 /boot partition, you will need to
 leave it
 unencrypted.

 For example,
 see my current partition table:

 matthew@matt-tower:~$
 lsblk
 NAME                  MAJ:MIN
 RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
 sda
                8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
 ├─sda1                  8:1    0
 953.7M  0 part  /boot
 ├─sda2
             8:2    0     1K  0 part
 └─sda5                  8:5    0
 464.8G  0 part
   └─sda5_crypt
   254:0    0 464.8G  0 crypt

 ├─root--swap-root 254:1    0   447G  0 lvm   /
     └─root--swap-swap 254:2    0
 17.8G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
 sdb
          8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
 └─sdb1                  8:17   0
 931.5G  0 part
   └─sdb1_crypt
   254:3    0 931.5G  0 crypt

 └─home-home       254:4    0 931.5G  0 lvm
 /home

 /boot is its own
 unencrypted partition, root and swap are in a LUKS
 encryption, and /home is on its own hard disk
 (and also LUKS encrypted)