Re: apache2: Could not open configuration file /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Permission denied

On Tuesday 16 October 2018 11:37:44 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 11:28:44AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Since leaving a sudo -i laying about is considered a security
> > breach, I'm amazed that the -i option doesn't accept a timeout. Say
> > in seconds, as if you think it will take 5 minutes to do the job as
> > root, sudo -i300, at the ends of which it expires.
>
> You could set the TMOUT variable in the resulting shell, either
> manually or by a setting in some rc file (e.g. /root/.bashrc if that's
> what the shell reads).

Okayyy, TMOUT=30, and 30 seconds later it does time out, returning me to
my user prompt.

And I ran synaptic and it didn't time out till 30 secs after I had quit
synaptic which leaves an exploitable hole. Synaptic took way more, than
the 30 I set TMOUT to.  Ideally it should have returned to the users
prompt at the synaptic exit, or would that leave trash behind?

Anyway, many thanks for the schooling, Greg. Even after 20 years, I
hadn't heard of that before.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)