Re: disk encryption causing kernel panic

Le 14/10/2018 à 22:32, Bill a écrit :

The problem seems to be that there is a bug in cryptsetup? which causes a kernel panic.

AFAIK bugs in userland programs don't cause kernel panics. Kernel bugs do. Userland programs may only trigger kernel bugs which cause a kernel panic.

In the output below, md2 is (encrypted) swap and md8 is /text - an encrypted partition. /text currently has only a few files which I could sacrifice, although I'd rather not.

I successfully enter the password for md2 and then don't even see the request for md8_crypt (ie a prompt for input)

Please unlock disk md2_crypt:
cryptsetup (md2_crypt): set up successfully
Please enter passphrase for disk md8_crypt on /text!
What then is this ?

[   51.451083] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.9.0-3-amd64
As Reco wrote, the panic seems to be related with the swap, which was unlocked just before the panic. Did you try to :
- not unlock md2_crypt but only md8_crypt
- unlock md2_crypt but not activate the swap within

You can use a live system or the Debian installer in rescue mode to do the tests.

What would I do if there were a lot of files?

Restore from backup, as usual.