Re: Paper size reported in Document Viewer.

	Hi.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 10:56:05PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian 9 with Document Viewer 3.22.1 here.
>
> Given
> http://easthope.ca/AIGAbusIconScaled.svg

8.5/11 = .7727272...

> the file
> http://easthope.ca/AIGAbusIconScaled.pdf

pdfinfo AIGAbusIconScaled.pdf says it's 765 x 990 pts.

765/990 = .7727272...

> is obtained by
> rsvg-convert -f pdf AIGAbusIconScaled.svg > AIGAbusIconScaled.pdf .

So rsvg-convert seem to preserve aspect ratio.

> The svg file has attributes 'width="8.5in" height="11in"' in the outermost svg element.

'S' in SVG stands for 'Scalable'. These sizes can be transformed into
anything.

> The PDF is displayed with Document Viewer and there Properties
> shows "Paper Size 270 x 349 mm".  That is 10.62 x 13.74 inches.

rsvg-convert(1) says that it uses 90dpi by default.

8.5*90 = 765
11*90 = 990

> I don't understand that paper size.  The numbers have no apparent
> connection to the svg specification or to the PDF file.

They do. You define aspect ratio in SVG. You define actual size by
specifying (or using default) DPI.

Reco