screensaver and sundries questions

Greetings

I have been using xscreensaver for quite some time and found it to be
quite useful (on debian 10 using lxde). Present thinking seems to be
that a screen locker must be included. As I have my equipment in a
home office, with almost no access to others I prefer to not have to
use a password every time I access my machines after a hiatus in use.
So I remove the screen locker but I cannot seem to have the screen not
only blank but to shut down. I have checked my settings and they are
the same as when it worked, previous installs but perhaps there are
some more 'current' conditions that are causing the screen blanking
and shutoff to be inhibited. Any ideas as to what to
set/change/modify?

TIA

Dee