Re: Why does Debian allow all incoming traffic by default

On 2018-09-21 18:29, Subhadip Ghosh wrote:
 Debian is a Universal OS.

I wouldn't say whatever you said, doesn't make sense. I wish there
were an easier way to know about it when I started using the OS,
something to warn me that I need to configure the firewall to suit my
needs. Maybe because I came from a different OS where the defaults
were stricter, my expectations about the defaults were different.

fell foul of this years ago. installed OS, naively went on IRC while looking about at what was installed.
"oh, I seem to have ports open"
20 seconds later somebody took over my account"
Rapidly pulls cable and reinstalls.

Some sort of a warning during installation.
"there is no firewall running, You should probably set up some rules"

would be helpful.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31