Re: Why does Debian allow all incoming traffic by default

	Hi.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 06:05:01AM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 09:32:45PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > 	Hi.

> > TCP RST attack requires exactly that. That, and an absence of a
> > firewall.
> >
> > > There is no point with a standard Debian installation (which is what the
> > > OP inquired about). Debian is already a good netizen.
> >
> > Good person makes a TCP connection to unprotected (as in - no firewall
> > interference) host. Since there's nothing on a host that does not listen
> > appropriate TCP port - host's kernel sends back TCP RST packet.
> > Good person's connection terminates, everyone's happy. That's how it
> > goes in your typical LAN.
> >
> Sorry that is not how a RST attack works.
> You send a TCP package two either or both ends where the RST flag is set by
> faking your address. This way mostTCP implementation close the exsisting
> connection. The china firewall works that way. It is a kind of denial of
> service attack.

That's how it goes if you're in-between router.

> If you send a TCP package to a computer not listening it will send a ICMP
> error back.

Does not work that way for me in a single L2 segment:

nmap -sT -p 23 <victim.host.has.no.telnet>

tcpdump -ni <outgoing interface>

13:28:17.826101 IP 10.20.0.1.37928 > 10.20.110.23.23: Flags [S], seq ...269
13:28:17.826111 IP 10.20.110.23.23 > 10.20.0.1.37928: Flags [R.], seq 0, ack ...270

Can I have my ICMP packet please? I can generate those with iptables'
REJECT target, but I get TCP RST only with empty INPUT chain.

> > Evil person makes a TCP connection to unprotected host, but forges
> > source IP. Host sends TCP RST to this forged IP, host acting as a
> > 'reflector' to an attack. And being a bad netizen at the same time.
> >
> > Evil person takes as many of such hosts as possible - and there goes
> > your old-fashioned RST DDOS.
> >

> No

Yes. Nobody does it anymore as there are numerous ways of traffic
amplification, but still 'yes'.

> > I recall that you've stated that your servers do not run any kind of
> > packet filter. So, just in case - one cannot harm the reflector that
> > way.
> >

> On those machines where I run a firewall, I use by default REJECT and not
> DROP. This also sends a ICMP back. In most cases this is desireable.

In a LAN that's definitely desirable. Helps with the troubleshooting and
stuff. Doing this in a WAN makes the host a bad netizen.

> If you
> drop the package without error the TCP sender will just think the package
> was lost and will resend the package. So in most cases REJECT might be
> better than DROP anyway.

I stopped catering for the needs of clearly broken software years ago,
so DROP for WAN is the way.

Reco