Re: unable to install nginx-full package

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:34 AM, Steve Kemp <steve@steve.org.uk> wrote:

>   You should be able to see why it fails to start by looking at the
>  nginx error-log, explore beneath /var/log/nginx.

Thanks Steve. Very helpful. BTW thank you very much for creating
https://debian-administration.org/ . I found it invaluable back in the
day.

>   I would *guess* that you have an existing webserver, such as apache,
>  running.  If that is the case you'll want to stop it before you try
>  again - because it will bind to port 80 (and possibly 443), which
>  will prevent another program from doing the same (i.e. If nginx tries
>  to start, but port 80 is in use it'll fail and stop).

Yes. That is exactly what was happening. I stopped apache2
(/etc/init.d/apache2 stop) and then the configuration process of
nginx-full completed successfully.

A follow up question:
Should I remove apache2 packages completely from the system or is
there a way to install both apache2 and nginx but only start nginx
upon each reboot?

thanks
raju
--