Re: OT high-power radio broadcasting (was Re: red SATA cable corruption)

On Tuesday 18 September 2018 15:12:52 Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Go In Peace.
> Real radio engineering, despite everything, is a dying art/science.

Yes, its got so bad the ma & pa small town broadcaster has to call in a
factory engineer to keep them on the air.  The days of the likes of
Chester Simpson, Elmer Nelson, and me are about finished.

One day after I had been the CE at WDTV for about 3 years, '87 I think
the local school sent up a couple bussloads of 8th graders, spring break
I guess, and I got volunteered to give them the $5 tour, explaining how
tv worked from our end. Getting to the end where I'd turned on the
cameras and monitors in the news studio and let them all "see
themselves" on tv, I wrapped up my speech by saying that someday I'll
retire, and that I hoped I had several of them nipping at my heels
wanting a pretty good job.

Blew me away, that was the best standup comedy they had heard in quite a
while. "who would want a job like yours?"  Thats when I understood 2
things, first that our educational system was well and truly broken if
it wasn't making the technology of the day interesting enough, and that
when I did retire, my replacement would need years of care and feeding
before he would be ready to do what I'd been doing since 1964. I had him
as an assistant for 5 or 6 years. It wasn't enough.

Now you know why my posts occasionally end with a sigh...

> Check out the Crystal Set Society, my man.
> Real Men, Real Women, Real Radios.
> https://www.midnightscience.net/

Chuckle.  My last crystal set was in '47.  Worked pretty good too. But
when I took a room in Des Moines in 1951 so I'd be within walking
distance of my job as the service tech at A.A.Schneiderhahn Co., fixing
the zenith stuff the dealers couldn't fix for Iowa and the north half of
Missouri, mother took the chance and cleaned out my old bedroom of
everything but the bed & dresser.  Fairly new house I'd helped my
stepfather build right after the war, and I'm the one who wired it, at
13 yo.

I stopped in my old home town and visited that house in the fall of 2007,
one my way home from saying goodbye to my oldest daughter who was dying
of cancer, and did within a week, and my fuse box and wiring had finally
been replaced during a remodel in 2005.

And once again, way off topic...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett