Re: Xorg log file filling up with error

On 9/18/18 3:58 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018, Frank McCormick wrote:

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:44:16
From: Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Xorg log file filling up with error

Just noticed today when my xorg logfile grew to 2 gb.
This error : 39.263] (EE) modeset(0): Failed to get GBM bo for flip to new
front.

is repeated hundreds of time. I have filed a bug, but in the meantime
is there away to avoid this, perhaps using the xorg.conf file. I don't
have one at the moment but if somebody has an idea how I can create one
what to put in it and where to put it I'd appreciate it
very much

Thanks

I haven't had this happen, but think uniq writing to xorg.log.new then mv
xorg.log.new xorg.log might help.  As a test, try wc -l xorg.log
logtest.txt
uniq xorg.log
wc -l xorg.log >>logtest.txt
then compare the line counts in xorgtest.txt.  If the second is far
smaller than the first, you might use grep to get a count of that error
message in the modified xorg.log file and see if it comes back as 1.  If
so, then uniq worked.

  That would work...ut I found another way around the problem. Created
an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 setting the PageFlip option to false.
Bingo!

Thanks

Frank