Re: ext2 for /boot ???

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 01:50:40PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> So what are the arguments against doing this (which I accept there may
> well be)? We'll ignore the eyebrow-raising need for /boot to be
> journalled, shall we?

Interesting thought! I've always used ext2 for /boot, 'cause
"always".

BUT, /boot is kinda critical (thus "ext2 is simpler"), BUT "data
journaled" actually might be most sensible for /boot - ext3/4 by
default (AIUI) only journals metadata, so that the fs is at least
readable/ sane from kernel perspective, but when booting, we REALLY
want sane data to be read, no?

So, make /boot a big larger, say couple GiBs, and set data=journalled
to "ensure" (FWIW) safe -data- writes to /boot - I see no drawbacks
and only positives for this, WILL ABSOLUTELY DO THIS on my next
reinstall (would use zfs, but want things simplest/ auto/ built in
for any recovery ops...).

So, THANKS for the GREAT thought :)