Re: root on ZFS

On 09/11/2018 01:42 AM, Mimiko wrote:
Hello.

Currently I use ZFS for making a pool of disks, but the system itself is installed on 2 SSD disks using MD to mirror.

How is now ZFS on handling booting from ZFS mirror. Can I start use ZFS as root filesystem on latest Debian? Is it stable on updates?

Thanks for suggestions.

Hello!  :-)

I have desired ZFS-on-root OOTB on Debian GNU/Linux stable for many years.

As you may already know, the ZFS license and the Linux license do not play nice together. Thus, many (most?) Linux distributions do not provide ZFS-on-root OOTB.

But, people want ZFS-on-root on their Linux distribution of choice. So, people find and post work-arounds. Matthew Crews has kindly posted what appears to be the current work-around for Debian Stretch (no, I haven't tried it):

> See the ZFSOnLinux Wiki:

    https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Stretch-Root-on-ZFS

Grab a test box, a pair of SSD's, and give it a try. Let us know how it works out (or not).

David

<OT>

1. The easiest path that I have found for creating FOSS Un*x-like systems with ZFS OOTB is FreeBSD. Beware that the BSD userland and root CSH are not GNU.

2. I seem to recall that Ubuntu added ZFS OOTB a few years ago. STFW, it looks like they currently also have a ZFS work-around:

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZFS

You might want to download the latest stable Ubuntu installer and give it a try.

</OT>