Re: changing the desktop environment

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On 6 September 2018 11:20 AM, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 11:53:19 +0100
> mick crane mick.crane@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > It is a long time since I fiddled with the display.
> > is buster.
> > there are the names
> > display manager which is lightdm
> > desktop environment which is mate
> > and window manager which I think is part of mate
> > If I want to change desktop environment do I need a window manager ?
> > I'm not seeing anything looks like a window manager in output
> > of "ps ax"
> > How do I change desktop environment ?
> > Is it
> > "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager"
> > just asking because I don't want to bugger it up
>
> To change desktop environment, you must install another one. Seems you
> only have Mate installed. Do a search for "Installing Debian Desktop"
> for the details.

There are several desktops to install, KDE - GNOME, XFCE as well as many other just "window managers". For example to install XFCE: sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies, for GNOME: sudo apt-get install task-gnome-desktop, or for any one of the window managers. sudo apt-get install twm or sudo apt-get install blackbox etc.

Josh