Encrypted e-mails?

We have more focus on Internet security now, than 5-10 years ago.
We have smartphones with software from Apple and Google, but we are unsure
if they look in our data.
We use Facebook and we know they sell info we share to other companies.
Each day we use Internet and visit websites, but behind we find trackers
that register our visit.
It is now more common than before to use HTTPS for a website to protect
traffic against data sniffers.

But it is still very common to send unencrypted e-mails, open post cards.
So why not use OpenPGP to encrypt e-mails, it is free, I am trying to find
out how to?

With OpenPGP you create a personal keypair, a secret and public key.
You send public key to friends, and they can encrypt e-mails to you, but
only you can open with secret key.

My primary e-mail is based on webmail with SquirrelMail on own private web
server.
A plugin named G/PGP Encryption is available, but not updated since 2007.
Written in PHP, interfacing with GnuPG, I found that it not work on Debian
Stable Linux and PHP 7.0.
But after hunting bugs, I have been able to fix it to send encrypted
e-mails between users within my server, not perfect, but working.
Now thinking about coding a new plugin.

In case I get it working, then I need friends outside my server to use
OpenPGP also.
To my knowledge it is not available very many places.
You normally get free e-mail without encryption, without encryption easier
for microsoft or google to look in your e-mails.

A week ago I got mail from google, that they now automatic add
appointments from my google e-mail to my google calendar.
I had then received copy of a hotel reservation from a friend, and
suddenly google added this as my hotel reservation.
So google in fact monitor my e-mails, scary, but not easy to have Android
smartphone without google account.

With https://protonmail.com/ we have webmail with focus on encrypted
e-mails, but it require your friends also have account there to make full
use of it.

We try to be secure on Internet, but still not easy to use secure e-mails???

https://www.openpgp.org/
https://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=153