Re: Strange Network Problem

On 09/02/2018 03:22 PM, mick crane wrote:
On 2018-09-02 19:39, David Christensen wrote:
On 2018-09-02 13:16, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
<snippped>
The Firewall Passthrough is set to Allocation Mode set to 'Passthrough
with the Passthrough Mode set to 'DHCPS-dynamic '.

It's my intention to change the Allocation Mode to 'Off', as soon as I
talk to AT&T Tech Support to make sure that doesn't mess things up.

I'm not quite understanding how one PC is going straight through the router to the ISP's network whereas you have other PCs with private addresses.

In my case as I understand it the ISP's router redirects from its external network to internal private. PC with say 2 NICS one to the router and one to a switch whereby connect the local machines using PC with 2 NICS as gateway doing DHCP, firewall and all that.

mick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_pinhole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)#DMZ_host

The OP appears to have the third option enabled on his gateway.

the ISP router maybe has NAT ( that's what it's called isn't it ) on some of the ports that things with the private 192.168 block connect to but seems to have a DMZ on one of the ports.
I dunno

mick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Internet gateways typically provide DHCP and NAT/IP masquerading to hosts on a private network (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24). DMZ hosts are treated specially.

David