Re: Cannot Install/Uninstall sendmail
On 8/28/18, Luis Finotti <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:41 AM David Wright <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> On Tue 28 Aug 2018 at 09:14:36 (-0400), Luis Finotti wrote:
>> > # apt remove sendemail
>> > Reading package lists... Done
>> > Building dependency tree
>> > Reading state information... Done
>> > Package 'sendemail' is not installed, so not removed
>> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>> > 1 not fully installed or removed.
>> > After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
>> > Setting up sendmail-base (8.15.2-11) ...
>> sendmail-base is what you should be trying to remove.
>> And you should be using dpkg directly, not messing around with apt.
>> As you can see, you asked apt to remove something and it tries to
>> configure something instead. If you're going to use sid or a
>> sid lookalike, you're going to have to use the appropriate tools.
>> > dpkg: error processing package sendmail-base (--configure):
>> > installed sendmail-base package post-installation script subprocess
>> > returned error exit status 255
>> > Errors were encountered while processing:
>> > sendmail-base
>> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>> > --------------------------------
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> You see—you want to know what dpkg itself is doing.
> Here it is:
> # dpkg -P sendmail-base
> (Reading database ... 1562548 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing sendmail-base (8.15.2-11) ...
> update-inetd: error: --group is only relevant with --add
> dpkg: error processing package sendmail-base (--purge):
> installed sendmail-base package pre-removal script subprocess returned
> error exit status 255
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> Any suggestions?
I've had luck on occasion by following where *my* setup tells me to try:
apt --fix-broken install
Generic just like that with no specific packages named.
Just had to run it a couple times recently. Sometimes I've gotten
lucky, and it fixes things just like that just that fast.
Other times it's like the other day. It will instead first attempt to
purge/remove the offending partially installed package. At one point,
I think I just gave up and let apt do what it thought might work.
Successfully remove a package *is* what it did.
This has just been since the one thread we had here about manually
installing via dpkg and then running into repeated missing
dependencies. I just checked ~/.bash_history and saw my topic was...
*cough* flash versus pepperflash. I was attempting deb package
installs with "dpkg -i" while otherwise only favoring the main
repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.
PS I finally gave up when I realized flash may have NEVER had anything
to do with the particular webpage issues I've had all these years. I
hate ol' timer's disease,.. been afflicted since about 1992. lol.
Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA
* runs with duct tape *