Re: [Buster]: Can't start X: no screens found(EE)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 18:07:18 +0200 (CEST)
local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am trying to upgrade a Debian Wheezy PC to Buster. The PC was
> successfully running Wheezy with KDE as desktop, in terms of hardware
> there are no changes. Initially, sddm was intalled to start KDE but
> that did not work for some reason, so now I starting KDE manually
> with startx.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks
>
> [snip]

Yes. Did you read and follow the instructions for distribution
upgrading? (Probably not) Was your dist-upgrade path wheezy -> jessie
-> stretch -> buster? (Probably not). Or did you just change wheezy's
apt's sources.list to buster's, then apt-get update; apt-get
dist-upgrade? (Probably, yes). Hence, the SNAFU.

I suggest you don't waste anymore time trying to fix things, just back
up your data and other important files, do a clean install of
stretch and following the instructions, of course, dist-upgrade to
buster. This is the recommended "safe" procedure by Debian instead of
using buster's current installer which is still in alpha. It's all in
the instructions.