Re: why is the kernel "unsleeping" a HDD put to sleep with hdparm -Y ?

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 19:48:18 +1000
Zenaan Harkness <zenaan@freedbms.net> wrote:

> So I have a 'spare' internal spinning rust bucket which I only use
> for backups, and so most of the time when I'm not using it I put it
> to sleep with:
>
> sudo hdparm -Y /dev/sda
>
> Unfortunately the kernel wakes the drive up again:

Since you don't use it that much, why "sleep" it at all? Just unmount
it. Check fstab, too, to see if it's list, and make it "noauto" or
remove the stanza entirely. That's what I did with a infrequently used
drive.