Re: Re: Swap priority in Debian

On 08/25, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Aug 25, 2018, at 1:15 AM, Subhadip Ghosh <subhadip.sky@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 25 August 2018 01:17 PM, Dekks Herton wrote:
Subhadip Ghosh <subhadip.sky@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

I am a Debian testing user. Recently I am experiencing freezing on my
Debian system intermittently and during troubleshooting the same, I
found out that the I have a swap partition with priority set to
-2. But according to the below manpage:

https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/mount/swapon.8.en.html

swap priority should be between -1 and 32767. I have a swappiness
value of 60 but I don't remember seeing the swap being used at all
recently, the used swap is always 0%.
Whats swapon -s say? do you use zsawp or zram?
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda5                                  partition    8203260 0    -2

I am using zswap.

My question is, do you think that the -2 priority is stopping the swap
partition from actually being used and because of that, the system is
getting frozen when the memory usage is high?
No, it's -2 on my stretch box with zswap enabled and it swaps as one
would expect.

My buster box says pretty much the same thing.  I’m not using zswap.

Filename				Type		Size		Used	Priority
/dev/dm-1                              	partition	10485756	0	-2

I don’t recall ever having seen it actually use any swap, but that may just be me not remembering something that didn’t seem important at the time.

Rick

PS:  I did manage, just now, to force it to swap a small, but non-zero, amount by opening lots of tabs in firefox.  So it will use a “-2” swap partition if it has to.
For what it’s worth, I noticed that firefox got kinda slow, but it didn’t freeze.

I run stretch on a t60p with 2GB of RAM, so i know it swaps as normal. But both I and the OP use zswap which probably sets the prority to -2, FWIW swap space shows 300MB with the zswap space compressed to 110MB

--
regards.....

Dekks Herton

Thinkpad T61 2.0Ghz 2GB WSXGA+