Re: DHCP to static without reboot?

I spoke too soon...

I'm getting inconsistent results each time I try...  with things usually not working.  I usually brute-force problems by just exploring every combination of configuration and commands, but something very weird is going on here.

Now I'm getting :

Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

...which gives:

Aug 25 12:00:23 stretch systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state Aug 25 12:00:23 stretch systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-

My only guesses are there's either a weird background process doing things I don't want it to, or else perhaps there's a small chance of some kind of hardware issue (though this is in a VM).

--
Mark Pavlichuk