DHCP to static without reboot?

I can't seem to change the configuration of a nic from DHCP to static in Stretch (without rebooting) - I do this a lot so I don't want to have to reboot every time.  I'm using the old "killall dhclient;ifdown eth0;ifup eth0" method which also still seems to be in the documentation... at least on the debian.org site.  I've also tried doing various combinations of "service stop/start/restart networking" along with ifup/ifdown commands to no avail.  Is there some special new magic?

--
Mark Pavlichuk