Microsoft Does It Again

I'm not trying to start a flame war or bash Microsoft (let's fact it, they don't pay attention), but I have a problem with an Excel file.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, somehow it got saved as an Excel OOXML file. I find that i don't have a Linux app that seems to able to open the file. Contacting Microsoft Customer Service resulted in instructions to upgrade Excel to the current version. THere is no way that I will spend the money to implement that suggestion.

Is there a Linux application that will allow me to recover the contents of the file?

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant