Re: yabasic problem

Hi,

David Wright wrote:
> I thought we were up to version 4.0¹ by 1985,

Indeed, the booklet says "June 1984 ... First Edition".

I think i did not get to BASIC 4.0 because in 1986 i wrote a BASIC program
which translated our other BASIC programs to C (with some handwork being
left to do).

> Would you agree, though, that "BASIC" is the language that must
> have the biggest contrast between its well-endowed versions and
> the most dire cr*p.

Well, back then i perceived HP BASIC as the best language of all. It made
me boss on all those expensive HP machines (from 9845B to 9000/320).
But C ran on all Unix workstations. And as soon as i became ambidextrous
enough, i fell in love with the display manager of the Apollo Domain DN3000.

Microsoft's Visual Basic is said to have surpassed HP BASIC in the years
later.

> Where would yabasic fit?

It seems to be inspired by C (see the syntax of "open"). But why use such
a C-BASIC when there is gcc, gdb and valgrind ?

> If you've not come across the 9845 machine, it was in my experience
> unique, in that you could edit the program while it was executing,
> not even having to pause it.

Yep. I have seen users countering Error 17 by hitting the EDIT key and
throwing out the offending line. (One can imagine the effect on the
collection of emerged CAD files. We got much less repair work after the
users were re-seated to Apollo, DEC, and Sun where they had to submit
a bug report when the program crashed.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas