Re: Repository Problem

On 18 August 2018 at 05:00, Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have just installed Stretch on a new SSD on my platform.
>
> During the installation I selected the University of Chicago mirror and
> accepted the defaults plus backports.
>
> When I fun apt-get install Thunderbird apt-get tries to log on to
> prod.debian.map.fastly.net (2a04:4E42:2c::2040 and hangs. I can't find that
> address anywhere in /etc/apt.  Why am I getting this behavior?

As explained at [1], the debian-security repo [2] might be provided to
you by fastly.net.

Access to the debian-security repo is important because it is the method
by which your system will receive future security updates.

> Even more
> important, how do I get rid of  the problem?

If by "the problem" you mean the "hang", then you need to investigate why
that is occurring.

[1] https://deb.debian.org/
[2] specified in your /etc/apt/sources.list file as
http://security.debian.org/debian-security/