Re: Fail2Ban Question: Can I do this without restarting the service?

On 08/17/2018 01:16 PM, john doe wrote:
On 8/17/2018 6:50 PM, cyaiplexys wrote:
On 08/17/2018 10:55 AM, Dave Sherohman wrote:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 02:07:02PM -0400, cyaiplexys wrote:
See, that all is way over my head. I don't understand this stuff as I'm
pretty much a total beginner in this.

OK, fair enough.  Let's see what help I can offer.

Greatly appreciated. :)

Does Debian and Debian based systems have the firewall installed and
running by default?

No.  For general-purpose firewalling, I would suggest installing ufw
(`sudo apt-get install ufw`), as it's much simpler to manage than using
iptables (the underlying firewall control scheme used by both ufw and
fail2ban to communicate with the kernel) directly.

After installing ufw, the following commands should get you started (all
of them need to be run with sudo or from a root shell):

If I'm following you so far, ufw is a firewall like iptables? Or a replacement for iptables?

No -- ufw is a "front end" to iptables.
Ufw is easy to configure and will translate to a format understood by iptables.

In other words, "iptables" is the firewall and UFW, Shorewall ... allows you to control that wall between you and the internet.

Also, a server without firewall capibility should never be facing internet.

So do I have to sudo apt-get iptables or is that already installed?

[other very useful stuff snipped...]