Re: Monitoring copy file security

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 08:52:35PM +0200, Ilyass Kaouam wrote:
> I have a database server in which I save the database (dump)
> let say
>  /home/backup directory.
> I would like to monitor this directory and find out if anyone is doing a cp
> or mv or.....

1) Set the permissions correctly, so you don't have to worry about strangers
   reading your private data.

2) You can use inotifywait or similar tools, but they won't be able to
   differentiate "cp commands" from any other reads (rsync, etc.).  At that
   level, an open is just an open, and a read is just a read.